Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Quality

What does the word "quality" mean to you?

I have been re-examining my wardrobe (even more than usual) since my shopaholic challenge, and I have been really trying to make an effort to only add "quality" pieces that I LOVE to my closet.


I've been shopping all my life and still have nothing to wear.  ~Author Unknown

I don't want this above quote to be a description that fits me & my closet, I want to love every piece I own and have a hard time choosing what I want to wear every morning-not because I don't like any of it or I'm tired of it, but because I love it all, and can't pick just one outfit!!!

By no means does "quality" have to be a designer label or a piece of clothing that costs 100s of dollars, but yet it's that item that you know you won't get tired of, and will last. It may even be one of those pieces that your daughter covets and is so excited that you saved it, as it's now an excellent vintage piece! 
(I only WISH that had happened to me....Mom: you had great style, why oh why didn't you KEEP any of it?!?!)

Although the item doesn't have to be a high priced piece, it can be. This doesn't mean that your entire closet contains expensive name brand items, but you may have some, because as we know, typically the more you spend on something-the better the quality! (No, that's not always the case, but usually!)  Besides....
A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist.  ~Franklin P. Jones
How many times have you purchased something just because it was on sale, only to find it in your closet 6 months later still with the tags on??!!  Hmmm.....guess you didn't really love that one, you just loved the price!
A bargain ain't a bargain unless it's something you need.  ~Sidney Carroll

I think one way to think about trying to buy quality pieces, is thinking of your wardrobe as an investment. You want things to last... you don't want to see the $$ end up in a bag to be donated!  Again, just as saving/investing your money, you don't put all you have into one place at one time, you add/save slowly. So think about your closet in the same way. Slowly begin to weed out the items you don't love and one by one add those quality pieces you will love forever.


One place to invest in is your denim. I am a true believer in the quality of "premium" denim. It really does last, and it FITS & WEARS so much better than the less expensive brands. Now I'm not saying Gap denim is horrible, but I do know that I can only wear my Gap skinnies once or twice before I get that "saggy butt" versus my James, AG, or 7 for All Mankind jeans!  I wear jeans every day, even in the summer, so this is an easy category for me to "invest" in. I don't have to wear "dress pants" to work, I can wear jeans every day, and I pretty much do!!  When investing in a good pair of jeans, make sure you TRY ON lots of different styles, sizes, and brands....you will most definitely be a different size in every brand and style.....and who cares about the size, you want the best pair that makes you look and feel great!

Another place to invest is your shoes. You not only want shoes that are comfortable, but also shoes/boots that will last!  I have become a lover of Frye, and I now own 3 pairs of Frye boots that I absolutely love!  (I definitely didn't buy all 3 at the same time, but rather one pair per year, slowly adding to my wardrobe.) Now these can definitely be harder on the wallet, BUT right now, during all the summer sales, is the best time to buy!  I believe I have purchased all 3 of my Frye boots on sale!  Check out the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, they always have Frye boots marked down!

Now, I'm not telling you to stop shopping at H&M or Kohls or even Target. I just want you to think about the pieces you are purchasing and truly love each item that you add to your closet. Especially with more "trendy" items, it's better to spend less as you play with the trend and determine if it works for you, then you can always find a similar, higher quality piece like it. 

If you need more pointers in investing in your wardrobe, check out some of our earliest posts: here or here, read the style guide books by Nina Garcia, or check out Tim Gunn's book: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style!  If nothing else, he can at least offer some advice in helping you "Make it Work!"

The best wardrobe is one where you have that perfect blend of the inexpensive pieces with the more expensive items.  Have fun, experiment with your style, and don't be afraid to "invest" in those "quality" pieces... You'll find yourself saving more money in the end than you might think!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover