Friday, May 13, 2011

Look GOOD for Less!

I LOVE this quote by SJP, and had to share it!! Sometimes we get too caught up in having that bag or pair of jeans that other things in life suffer. But we can do BOTH....have a FABULOUS wardrobe & still be able to "LIVE"!!!

We all know that at times, $$ can be tighter than we may wish it was.... I know I have dreams of a huge walk-in closet with so many more items than I could imagine, but in life, that's not possible for all of us! So, we have to make do with what we can afford, but still manage to always LOOK GOOD!

I have seen so many blogs put out a "Look for Less" post from time to time, and others that share price comparisons of single items: one item for $1,000 or almost the exact same item for only $50! It can be done, but you do have to be careful.....as with some things, you do pay for what you get--and cheap isn't always the best way to go!

At work today, even though it's "casual Friday," I dressed up due to a morning interview. Perhaps that is why I stood out more to my colleagues (& students), or perhaps it was because I did have on a fabulous outfit??!! (I'll go with the latter!) But what makes it even better is that my ENTIRE outfit was only $65 and all 3 pieces (excluding my accessories) came from TARGET!

Here is what I am wearing today:

It's an outfit that is professional enough for an interview, but still has that "fun" element to it--with the nude lace tights and the nude/camel heels! LOVE it! The tights, as just about all of them are at Target, were only $10. The heels, which are now unavailable, were $29.99, and the shirt dress was only $24.99. I have heard that this shirt dress is now on clearance in several stores, and if you love these shoes, there are two other SIMILAR options available at Target, online. Check them out here & here!

Here are a couple blogs that often showcase a "look for less"....check them out:
Uber Chic for Cheap & the CheapChica's Guide to Style.
These are just two that I have seen & enjoyed reading....there are SO many more great fashion blogs out there--it just takes some time to find & read all of them!

There are SO many other items out there that I have seen "re-done" by Target and other stores at a more affordable price. Often they are SO worth it, but as I said before, you do have to be careful and pay attention to what you are really getting! A fake leather bag that smells of chemicals is in no way something I want to carry on my shoulder just because it was only $19.99!! And don't get too carried away. Your wardrobe should be a COMBINATION of higher priced items and lower priced items--that's what makes it work!

In her third style book, The Style Strategy, Nina Garcia reminds us that it's okay to spend money on an item that will last for years: consider it an investment! If it's more of a "trend" or something that you only need for a couple occasions, then go with the less expensive version. It is totally okay to pair your $50 jeans with your $250 boots, a $75 sweater, and a $5 pair of earrings....that's what makes your wardrobe your own! Have fun with it, and remember you don't need the "designer version" of everything out there!
BE CREATIVE!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover