Saturday, June 23, 2012

What's on your nightstand?

This was a question that a friend shared with me that was either used in an interview or a random questionnaire she saw or read. I think it's quite an interesting question that can really tell you quite a lot about a person!

Most often, the answer to this question includes at least one book, either currently being read or next in line on the "to read list." As a teacher who puts 200% into her teaching job during the school year, I often find that I am working on school work or reading "professional development" types of things rather than my own "choice books" late into the evening. Thus when 10pm (or later) rolls around, all I am hoping for is at least 7 hours of sleep! So those "want to read" titles get pushed aside and begin collecting dust from September-June. The book I started reading in November, on my honeymoon, is still left, half-finished, in such a pile. Seriously??!! 


So on my nightstand, I currently have a stack of books at least 5-6 high! 
And yes, the pile definitely says a lot about me and my varied interests....
This stack includes 1984, The Night Circus, The Disappearing Spoon, and yes, the oh-so-talked about 50 Shades of Grey. Quite a variety, I know. The teacher in me is represented by The Disappearing Spoon, a chemistry novel (nerd-alert!), and 1984, which my students were reading in order to get into Honors English, and a book that I never read in high school! I thought I could guide them better as they were working on their projects if I read it too, but yet my copy still sits on the nightstand, dusty & unopened. The Night Circus was recommended by friends in a book club that I don't have time to actively join, so I just ask them for a list of their favorites every now and then, and this was one of them. And then, the infamous, 50 Shades of Grey. Well, curiosity got the best of me, and I just want to know what all the "talk" is about! Don't you??!!

With this "shopaholic challenge," I have decided to try to spend less time reading blogs, browsing pinterest, and online shopping, and get back into the reading that I love. I am hoping that I can catch up on this stack of books during these summer weeks where I don't have to think about teaching junior high science!

I wrote a post about a "fashion-related" book I read last year, The Secret Lives of Dresses by Erin McKean. I later read a similar book called, A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff. Both books were about women owning and working in vintage shops and the experiences that come their way. I enjoyed both of them, and hope to find even more books that fall into the "fashion" category. 
Perhaps at school, or recommended by another teacher or friend, I heard about a website, titled, What should I read next? Perfect!! I entered in A Vintage Affair, and sure enough, what is on the list, but this title: Shoe Addicts Anonymous by Beth Harbison. Is that some kind of sign or what??!  Crazy!  Here is the synopsis that I then found on goodreads.com
Helene Zaharis's politician husband keeps her on a tight leash and cancels her credit cards as a way of controlling her. Lorna Rafferty is up to her eyeballs in debt and can't stop her addiction to Ebay. Sandra Vanderslice, battling agoraphobia, pays her shoe bills by working as a phone sex operator. And Jocelyn Bowen is a nanny for the family from hell (who barely knows a sole from a heel but who will do anything to get out of the house). 
 
On Tuesday nights, these women meet to trade shoes, and, in the process, form friendships that will help them each triumph over their problems—from secret pasts to blackmail, bankrupcy, and dating.  Funny, emotional, and powerful, Shoe Addicts Anonymous is the perfect read for any woman who has ever struggled to find the perfect fit.


I think it sounds like a fun read. I may have to see if I can find a cheap copy on amazon or ebay and add it to my ever-growing nightstand stack!
...and hey, this purchase is allowed, as I can't "wear" a book, and those were the rules: 
"If I can wear it, I can't buy it!"


I know there must be other fashion-related novels and books out there....it just takes time to find them! I've blogged about reading those written by Nina Garcia and the Dreaming of Dior series, but I am hoping to find others.


What are you reading these days?
...and what is currently sitting on your nightstand??
(does it say a little something about who you are?!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover