Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spring Fashion: Made in the USA

The phrase "made in the USA" is something we sure don't see much of anymore, especially with regards to clothes!

My father used to own a high-end men's clothing store, and part of what he advertised was that all of the things he sold were made right here in the US. In the MEN's clothing business, that is quite a bit easier to do, as you have some fabulous clothing lines such as: Hickey Freeman (suits), Robert Talbot (ties), Bill's Khakis (casual/sportswear), Hart Schaffner Marx (suits), Allen Edmonds (shoes), and many others. Many of these brands can be found at Twill, a FABULOUS men's clothing store here in Edina, MN at the Galleria. I met Scott Dayton, the owner, at a few of the buying trips I made with my dad & he's a great guy!!
Unfortunately, it's much harder to find merchandise that is completely made in the USA in the women's clothing business. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not boycotting any retailer or brand, it's just something that got me thinking...

I completely LOVE many of our local designers here in the Twin Cities, and support them through their fashion shows, trunk shows, here on the blog, and of course own many of their pieces. Some of my favorites include: KJurek, realia by Jen, Sheer Addiction, and of course all of the fabulous artists/designers on Etsy-many of whom are from the US.

I was just curious to see who/what else out there is still made right here in the good ol' US of A. It was a tough search, but I found a few labels that I own and wear that are still made here in the US.

Denim seemed to be the easiest category to still find labels that are made here. Some of these locals are: AG Jeans (love), True Religion, only some of Levi's jeans are still made here, and William Rast jeans are assembled in the US with Mexican fabric. Several shoes are also made here: New Balance-the ONLY athletic shoe made here (Maine & Massachusetts), Red Wing Shoes (of course, right here in MN), and Eastland (Maine).


While searching for information on the products I buy and wear, as well as my typical perusal through other fashion blogs, I came across a FABULOUS new brand...and it's MADE IN THE USA!! LOVE! EmersonMade is the name, and it consists of a husband & wife team working together (of course) ...she designs/styles/creates and he is her business partner/photographer/right hand man.



I am LOVING so many items on their website....I wish I could just order one of everything!! My absolute favorite are the EM LowRiders, in the sunwashed color---FABULOUS, and so fitting with the 70s vibe of Spring fashion!! I'm just always nervous about ordering jeans online from a designer/brand I've never tried on!
I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the Trench dress---SO versatile--easy to dress up or down! (pictured right)

There are so many great pieces....from denim, to dresses, to fantastic skirts. Not only is this a great place for apparel, EmersonMade also makes wonderful accessories--beautiful clutches, great belts, and fabulous flower pins --perfect for a fun new spring addition to that favorite jacket or sweater, or something for a bride, your bridesmaids, or a fun gift for your girls! SO many great items to choose from! I definitely recommend checking out their website and/or "liking" them on Facebook!! It will be worth your time--I promise!

PS--Check out their "photos" tab at the top of the website--SO much fun!!!


So now that I've thrown out the "Made in the USA" topic....how many of you will go home and check the tags of your favorite pieces....how many items of yours are made right here in the US??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover