Friday, November 12, 2010

How many is too many?

4 sandals...2 tennis shoes....6 flats...18 heels/wedges....and 9 tall boots!


39 pairs of SHOES in all....Is that too many??
Can a girl really have too many shoes?

One comment I read by another blogger:
Life is too short, just buy the shoes!


I completely agree!! Shoes are the ONE item that never (or very rarely) changes for a woman. If you've been a size 7.5, you usually still are a size 7.5. No matter what may be changing with your body at any time, your feet stay relatively true to you, making them an easy accessory to purchase!

When it comes to shoes, we all often have our favorite brands, perhaps multiple favorite brands, as well as those "to die for"...."wish I could afford those" brands! When is it a good time to splurge on a pair of shoes and when is buying the less expensive better for your wardrobe AND your bank account??

I have several favorite brands of shoes ... it all depends on the style of shoe.

BOOTS

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Frye. These are one of those brands that are higher priced, BUT are SO worth every penny. These boots are of the highest quality and will never go out of style. AND they are made right here in the US.
From the Frye website: Founded in 1863 by John A. Frye, The Frye Company is the oldest continuously operated shoe company in the United States. ... The Frye brand remains true to its heritage and vintage American roots with finely crafted, fashionable boot, shoe, and handbag designs featuring rich leathers and quality hardware.

How cool is that?!! So why not splurge? I recommend watching for sales, as many large department stores carry Fryes. I have purchased both of my pairs at Nordstrom, during their Anniversary Sale, and saved at least $100 on each pair!! LOVE that!! I own both the Jane Stitch in redwood (pictured right) and the Jane Tall Cuff in taupe (over-the knee-pictured above left). As they are more of the cowboy boot style, they do take some "breaking in"...but then they are FABULOUS!! I can wear both of mine for hours without pain or blisters!!

I think with tall boots you just have to try and find the best fit and style for you, which isn't always the same for everyone. ALDO was great for awhile with their selection, but I was rather bored with their tall boots this fall. Seychelles is a FABULOUS line of oh SO comfortable shoes--and they have varied tall boot styles also. Miz Mooz is another great line for comfortable tall boots in fun and unique styles. Target had an amazing selection of boots this year--particularly the tan pair with the red zipper up the back for only $34.99. AMAZING!!
It can be a struggle to find that pair that you LOVE, but it's worth the wait. I have learned not to settle for a pair that I like...it's much more fun to have a pair you are in love with, as you will definitely wear them more and get your money's worth!

Heels

Stilettos....wedges...open-toed...platforms...Mary Janes....kitten...chunky... so many styles....so much to choose from!

I couldn't resist this fabulous drawing done by Andy Warhol....I would LOVE to have this hanging in my bedroom...or perhaps in a future walk in closet or dressing room!!
This can often be a "tricky" category, as how do you know when to splurge on a pair and when too much is too much!? You need to look at the practicality of the pair of heels, the season in which you would wear them, the comfort, and how much you love them. It is easy to fall in love with a fabulous pair of shoes, only to purchase them, on your credit card of course, and later realize that you have worn them just once since that day you were dying for them.

Every girl needs a basic black and a basic brown heel that can be paired with anything...whether it's the office or a night out with the girls. A black heel is a definite must. This is one shoe that will never go out of style and is worth spending a bit more on, as you want it to last and be comfortable! I love my Enzo Anglioni open-toed heels for spring/summer and into fall, and my Mary Jane style Steve Madden's for winter. There are SO many different basic black heels out there...just start looking and trying on.



*If you're not one that can do any length of time in heels, try a wedge shoe/boot or a wider heel, avoid the stiletto style. The wider the heel base, or a complete wedge heel, the more your weight is distributed over the shoe making it more comfortable.

Once you have the basics in your wardrobe, it's time for the fun, more daring styles and colors to be added. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new Seychelles, from Anthropologie (pictured left). They are a fabulous turquoise color and are SO comfortable. ALL Seychelles are incredibly comfortable....I own at least 3 pair, and would consider more (of course). They are also very affordable. I LOVE the Hawk (which I also own) and the Ring in the New Year....oh, and the Kiss at Midnight too (a great basic Mary Jane style)--SO fun!!!

Anthropologie consistently has unique and fun shoes--in all styles! Yet, the price tags are often what makes me ask-"do I really need these?" So I often add them to my "wish list" in hopes that they will still have my size when they do go on sale!!! I LOVE these Needlepoint Platforms (pictured right), but the price versus the practicality don't quite match up for me...yet!

Poetic License, Miz Mooz, Jeffrey Campbell, Fergie, and Boutique 9 are a few other fabulous lines with both fun and practical styles of shoes. There are just so many to list. DSW is a great place to find good deals on shoes--especially if you're lucky enough to find your size in the Clearance section!!

Just think of your shoes as an extra accessory--they can make a statement just like a fabulous necklace or amazing clutch. Pairing a fun color shoe, like red, with an all black outfit instantly makes your shoes the statement piece! Have fun searching for that perfect black boot, but don't be afraid to add a fun statement pair or two to your wardrobe! Stay true to your style and make your feet (and you) happy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover